Altace and its Uses
Generic Altace is also a standard therapy for controlling high blood pressure in adults. Generic Altace is effective when used alone or in combination with other high blood pressure medications, especially thiazide-type water pills (diuretics). Generic Altace is a member of the group of drugs called ACE inhibitors.
Generic Altace may help you reduce the risk of heart attack, stroke, or cardiovascular death if you're a person aged 55+
- And have had a previous heart attack
- And/or have had a previous stroke
- And/or have diabetes plus an additional cardiovascular risk factor, such as high blood pressure or high cholesterol, or you are a smoker
- And/or have a history of coronary artery disease, such as angina, previous bypass surgery, or angioplasty (stenting or ballooning)
- And/or have peripheral vascular disease
Generic Altace works by preventing the conversion of a chemical in your blood called angiotensin I into a more potent substance that increases salt and water retention in your body. Generic Altace also enhances blood flow in your circulatory system.
|| Top ||
Altace Mechanism Altace Working
ACE inhibitors work by blocking the action of a compound in the body called angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE). Normally ACE produces another compound called angiotensin II, as part of the body's natural control of blood pressure. Angiotensin II has two actions. Firstly, it causes blood vessels to constrict and narrow, and secondly, it reduces the production of urine by the kidneys. Both these actions increase the pressure within the blood vessels.
As Generic Altace blocks the action of ACE, it reduces the production of angiotensin II. This means that the blood vessels are allowed to relax to widen and more urine is produced by the kidneys. The overall effect of this is a drop in blood pressure. Altace can therefore be used to treat high blood pressure.
The reduced pressure within the blood vessels means that the heart does not have to work as hard to pump the blood around the body. Altace medication can therefore be used to improve the symptoms of heart failure, where the heart is not pumping as efficiently. It has also been shown to improve survival in people who are diagnosed with heart failure after suffering a heart attack. Generic Altace is usually used in combination with a diuretic medicine to treat heart failure.
|| Top ||
Missed Dose of Altace
Take the missed dose of Altace as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose of Altace and take only your next regularly scheduled dose of Altace.
Excess Dose of Altace
The symptoms associated with overdose include extreme dizziness, weakness, fainting, low blood pressure and fatigue.
Conditions for storage of Altace
Store Altace at room temperature away from light.
Potencies of Altace
Altace Tablets: Altace 2.5 mg, Altace 5 mg & Altace 10 mg
|| Top ||
Food and Drug Interactions with Altace
- Generic Altace may enhance the blood pressure lowering effect of other medicines that decrease blood pressure, particularly alpha-blocker or diuretic medicines. This may make you feel dizzy, particularly with the first dose of Altace. If you do feel dizzy or faint after starting Altace sit or lie down until the symptoms pass, and let your doctor know so that the doses of your blood pressure medicines can be altered if necessary.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs, e.g. indometacin) may reduce the blood pressure lowering effect of Altace, and may increase the risk of a decline in kidney function.
- If you are already taking a high dose of a diuretic medicine such as frusemide, your doctor may ask you to stop taking it, or reduce your dose, two to three days before you start treatment with Altace. This is to reduce the risk of causing a severe drop in blood pressure with the first dose of Altace.
- Altace medication may increase the blood levels of lithium, and people taking lithium at the same time as Altace should have their lithium levels closely monitored.
- Altace medicine may enhance the blood sugar lowering effect of insulin and oral antidiabetic medicines, with a risk of hypoglycaemia. People with diabetes should therefore carefully monitor their blood sugar while taking Altace medicine, particularly in the first few weeks of treatment.
- There may be a risk of raised blood potassium levels (hyperkalaemia) if ramipril is taken with any of the following and these should therefore be avoided:
- potassium-sparing diuretics (e.g. spironolactone, triamterene, amiloride)
- potassium supplements
- potassium-containing salt substitutes
- If you are taking any of these with ramipril your blood potassium level should be monitored.
- There may be an increased risk of a drop in the number of white blood cells in the blood if Altace is taken with any of the following medicines:
- anti-cancer medicines
- medicines that suppress the immune system
- If you are taking Altace drug with any of these medicines you should have regular blood tests to monitor the levels of your blood cells, particularly if you also have decreased kidney function or a collagen vascular disease.
|| Top ||
Contraindications with Altace
- Allergy or hypersensitivity to any of its ingredients
- Any condition in which there is obstruction to the pumping of blood out of the heart (outflow tract obstruction)
- History of swelling of the lips, face or tongue (angioedema)
- Kidney failure requiring a certain type of haemodialysis (high-flux membrane)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Narrowing of one of the valves in the heart (mitral valve stenosis)
- Narrowing of the artery which supplies blood to the kidneys (renal artery stenosis)
- Narrowing of the main artery of the body (aortic stenosis)
- People receiving therapy to remove certain types of fat from the blood using a machine (LDL apheresis)
- People with unstable blood circulation
- Pregnancy: Altace medicine is known to harm an unborn baby. When used during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy, Generic Altace can cause injury and even death to the developing fetus. Do not take Altace if you are pregnant. Generic Altace passes into breast milk and its effects on a nursing baby are not known. Do not take Altace without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
|| Top ||
Precautions with Altace
Generic Altace should be used with precaution in the diseases affecting connective tissue, e.g. scleroderma, systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis (collagen vascular diseases) & elderly people.
|| Top ||
Adverse Effects with Altace
The adverse effects associated with Altace are as follows:
- Dizziness or loss of balance
- Dry mouth
- Impotence Chest pain (angina)
- Anxiety and restlessness
- Disturbances of the gut such as diarrhea, constipation, nausea, vomiting or abdominal pain
- Dry cough
- Abnormal heart beats (arrhythmias)
- Severe skin rash (erythema multiforme)
- Disturbance in the components of the blood
- Severe swelling of lips, face or tongue (angioedema)
- Alteration in taste
- A drop in blood pressure that occurs when going from lying down to sitting or standing, which results in dizziness and lightheadedness (postural hypotension)
- Decreased sex drive
- Decreased kidney function
- Skin reactions such as rash and itch
- Liver disorders
|| Top ||