Lamictal and its Uses
Generic Lamictal is an anticonvulsant that is chemically unrelated to any other anticonvulsant or mood regulating medication. Generic Lamictal is the brand name of an anti-seizure medicine called lamotrigine.
Like many anti-seizure medicines, it helps regulate the electrical activity in the brain.
The exact way that Generic Lamictal works is unknown. However, it is believed that Lamictal affects chemicals in the brain involved in seizures and in bipolar disorder.
Generic Lamictal is used alone or in combination with other medications in the treatment of seizures. Generic Lamictal is also used in the treatment of bipolar disorder.
|| Top ||
Lamictal Mechanism Lamictal Working
The brain and nerves are made up of many nerve cells that communicate with each other through electrical signals. These signals must be carefully regulated for the brain and nerves to function properly. When abnormally rapid and repetitive electrical signals are released in the brain, the brain becomes over-stimulated and normal function is disturbed. This results in fits or seizures.
Generic Lamictal prevents epileptic fits by preventing the excessive electrical activity in the brain. Generic Lamictal does this by preventing sodium from entering nerve cells when they begin to fire rapid and repetitive electrical signals. A build up of sodium in the nerve cells is necessary for the electrical signal to build up and be passed on to other nerve cells. As Generic Lamictal prevents this, it helps stabilize the electrical activity in the brain.
Preventing the build-up of the electrical signal also prevents the release of a neurotransmitter called glutamate from the nerve cells in the brain. Neurotransmitters are chemicals that are stored in nerve cells and are involved in transmitting messages between the nerve cells. Glutamate is a neurotransmitter that acts as a natural 'nerve-exciting' agent. It is released when electrical signals build up in nerve cells and subsequently excites more nerve cells. It is thought to play a key role in causing epileptic seizures. Reducing the release of glutamate from the nerve cells in the brain is another way in which Generic Lamictal helps stabilize the electrical activity in the brain and prevent epileptic fits.
|| Top ||
Missed Dose of Lamictal
Take the missed dose of Lamictal as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the dose of Lamictal you missed and take only the next regularly scheduled dose of Lamictal. Do not take a double dose of Lamictal.
Excess Dose of Lamictal
Dose of Lamictal in excess may show symptoms such as dizziness, drowsiness, headache, increased seizures, and unconsciousness.
Conditions for storage of Lamictal
Store Lamictal at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Potencies of Lamictal
Lamictal Tablets Lamictal 5 mg, Lamictal 25 mg, Lamictal 50 mg, & Lamictal 100 mg
|| Top ||
Food and Drug interactions with Lamictal
- Valproate (as sodium valproate, valproate semisodium or valproic acid) increases the blood level of Lamictal. If you are taking a valproate medicine when you start treatment with Generic Lamictal, your starting dose of this new medicine will be increased more gradually than normal.
- The following medicines may reduce the blood level of Lamictal:
- phenobarbitone (phenobarbital)
If you are taking any of these medicines with Generic Lamictal your doctor may need to increase your lamotrigine dose.
- There may be an increased chance of side effects such as headache, dizziness, blurred vision, double vision, sleepiness and nausea if carbamazepine or oxcarbazepine are taken with Lamictal. If this occurs your doctor may need to reduce the dose of the carbamazepine or oxcarbazepine.
|| Top ||
Contraindications with Lamictal
Generic Lamictal is contraindicated in allergy and hypersensitivity to any of its ingredients.
Do not take Lamictal without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or breast-feeding a baby.
|| Top ||
Precautions with Lamictal
Lamictal should be used with caution in the following conditions:
- Decreased liver function
- Elderly people
- Kidney failure
- Parkinson's disease
- Adverse effects with Lamictal
The adverse effects associated with Lamictal are
- Difficulty in sleeping (insomnia)
- Shaking, usually of the hands (tremor)
- Blood disorders
- Skin rashes
- Disturbances of the gut such as diarrhea, constipation, nausea, vomiting or abdominal pain
- Visual disturbances
- Severe blistering skin reaction affecting the tissues of the eyes, mouth, throat and genitals.(Stevens-Johnson Syndrome)
- Shaky movements and unsteady walk (ataxia)
- Disturbances of liver function
|| Top ||