Ovral combines natural or synthetic estrogens and progestins,
similar to the natural sex hormones (estrogen and progesterone)
produced in a woman's body.
Ethinyl estradiol is an estrogen and norgestrel is a progestin. Generic Ovral can prevent ovulation and pregnancy. In general, a combination of estrogen and progestin works better than a single-ingredient product.
Generic Ovral works by preventing ovulation (the release of an egg from an ovary) and causing changes in the mucus of the cervix, which makes it difficult for sperm to penetrate and for an egg to implant.
Ovral can also help regulate menstrual flow, treat
acne, or may be used for other hormone related problems in females.
The type and amount of estrogen and/or progestin may be different
from one product to another.
|| Top ||
Generic Ovral works in four ways
- By keeping your ovary from releasing an egg
- Traps sperm in thickened cervical mucous
- Prevents fertilization (sperm and egg meeting)
- May prevent implantation
|| Top ||
Missed Dose of Ovral
If you miss one dose
of Ovral, take it as soon as you remember or take two pills
of ovral at the time of your next regularly scheduled dose
of Ovral. There is little likelihood that ovulation
will occur. You may, however, want to use a second method
of birth control such as a condom or a spermicidal cream,
jelly, or foam for at least seven consecutive days following the
of Ovral to ensure protection from pregnancy.
If you miss two tablets
of Ovral in a row, take the two missed tablets as soon
as you remember or with your next regularly scheduled dose
of Ovral (three total). Or, you may take two tablets
each for the next two regularly scheduled doses
of Ovral (one missed tablet plus one regularly scheduled
tablet for two days in a row). Chances are much greater that you
may ovulate so you must use another form of birth control for at
least 7 days following the missed tablets
of Ovral. It is even better to use a second method
of birth control until your next period.
If you miss three tablets
of Ovral in a row, throw away the package and start
a new package
of Ovral on the 7th day after the last day you took
a pill. Use another method of birth control until you have taken
a pill for 7 days in a row. Your period should occur during the
7 days without pills. If it doesn't, have a pregnancy
test before beginning a new package of pills.
Excess Dose of Ovral
Ovral in excess dose may show symptoms such as nausea,
vomiting, and menstrual bleeding in females.
Conditions for Storage of Ovral
Store Ovral at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Potencies of Ovral
Ovral Tablets Norgestrel 0.5 mg + Ethinyl Estradiol 0.05 mg
|| Top ||
- The following medicines may potentially reduce the blood levels and effect of Ovral:
- rifamycins such as rifabutin and rifampicin
- protease inhibitors such as ritonavir and nelfinavir
- antiepileptic medicines such as carbamazepine, phenytoin, phenobarbital and primidone
- barbiturates such as amobarbital (amylobarbitone)
- the herbal remedy St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum).
- This may result in recurrence of symptoms or irregular bleeding. Tell your doctor if you are taking any other medicines before starting HRT.
- Oestrogens may increase the blood levels of ropinirole used for Parkinson's disease.
- Some women with diabetes may need small adjustments in their dose of insulin or antidiabetic tablets while taking Ovral. You should monitor your blood sugar and seek advice from your doctor or pharmacist if your blood sugar control seems to be altered after starting Ovral.
|| Top ||
Generic Ovral is contraindicated in
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding of unknown cause
- Angina pectoris
- History of blood clot lodged in a vein of the leg (deep vein thrombosis)
- History of blood clots traveling in the veins to another part of the body, e.g. lungs (venous thromboembolism)
- History of
- History of liver disease when liver function has not returned to normal
- Known or suspected
- Known or suspected cancer
responsive to female hormones (oestrogen dependent neoplasia)
e.g. endometrial cancer
- Life long inherited blood diseases which can cause a variety of symptoms, including mental health problems (porphyrias)
- Liver disease
- Overgrowth of the lining of the womb (endometrial hyperplasia)
- People who have recently had a
- Pregnancy or suspected pregnancy
|| Top ||
Ovral should be used with caution in
- Contact lens wearers
- Decreased kidney function
- Disorder causing deafness in adult life (otosclerosis)
- Family history of blood clots in the veins (venous thromboembolism)
- Family history of
- Fibroids of the uterus
- Gall stones
- Heart failure
- High blood
- History of benign breast lumps (fibrocystic breast disease)
- History of disease involving the blood vessels in and around the brain (cerebrovascular disease)
- History of disease involving the heart and blood vessels (cardiovascular disease)
- History of overgrowth of the lining of the womb (endometrial hyperplasia)
- Long-term inflammation of skin and some internal organs (systemic lupus erythematosus)
- Low levels of calcium in the blood (hypocalcaemia)
- People taking medicine to prevent blood clotting (anticoagulants, e.g. warfarin)
- People with disorders that predispose them to blood clots forming in the blood vessels (thrombosis)
- Personal or family history of recurrent miscarriages
- Raised triglyceride levels in the blood (hypertriglyceridaemia)
- Severe obesity
- Severe varicose veins
- Thyroid disease
|| Top ||
The adverse effects associated with Ovral are
- Changes in mood
- Leg cramps
- Excessive fluid retention in the body tissues, resulting in swelling (oedema)
- Blood clots in the blood vessels (thrombosis) that may detach and travel in the circulation to another area of the body (thromboembolism)
- Weight changes
- Skin reactions such as rash and itch
- Changes in
- Cancerous changes in the endometrium (lining of the womb).
- Change in menstrual bleeding
- Discomfort when wearing contact lenses
- Breast tenderness, swelling or milky white discharge from the nipple(s)
- Gastrointestinal disturbances including bloating, cramps, nausea and vomiting
in blood pressure
- Breakthrough bleeding
|| Top ||