Topamax and its Uses
Generic Topamax is an antiepileptic to control both the mild attacks known as partial seizures and the severe tonic-clonic convulsions known as grand mal seizures.
Generic Topamax is used in conjunction with other antiepileptic drugs in children with difficult to control partial onset seizures.
Generic Topamax is also prescribed by spetadalafilts to prevent migraine headaches in adults, for example, for those who have three or more migraine attacks per month, or frequent migraines that significantly interfere with daily routine. It is not fully understood how Generic Topamax works to prevent migraines. Generic Topamax has to be taken continuously to prevent migraines. Topamax is not intended for treating individual migraine attacks.
|| Top ||
Topamax Mechanism Topamax Working
The brain and nerves are made up of many nerve cells that communicate with each other through electrical signals. These signals must be carefully regulated for the brain and nerves to function properly. When abnormally rapid and repetitive electrical signals are released in the brain, the brain becomes over-stimulated and normal function is disturbed. This results in fits or seizures.
Generic Topamax works in three ways to prevent epileptic fits. Firstly, Generic Topamax enhances the activity of a neurotransmitter called GABA in the brain. Neurotransmitters are chemicals that are stored in nerve cells and are involved in transmitting messages between the nerve cells. GABA is a neurotransmitter that acts as a natural calming agent. Topamax medication keeps the nerve activity in the brain in balance. As Generic Topamax enhances the action of GABA, it helps calm the nerve activity in the brain.
Generic Topamax also prevents sodium from entering the nerve cells when they begin to fire rapid and repetitive electrical signals. A build up of sodium in the nerve cells is necessary for the electrical signal to build up and be passed on. Generic Topamax therefore prevents the excessive electrical activity that causes fits.
Generic Topamax also decreases the ability of a neurotransmitter called glutamate to excite the nerve cells. It does this by blocking glutamate receptors.
All these actions calm the nerve cells and stabilize the electrical nerve activity in the brain. This helps prevent fits and maintain normal brain function.
|| Top ||
Missed Dose of Topamax
Take the missed dose of Topamax as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for the next dose of Topamax, skip the dose you missed and take only the next regularly scheduled dose. Do not take a double dose of Topamax.
Excess Dose of Topamax
Generic Topamax in excess dose may show symptoms such as severe drowsiness, poor coordination, tremor, confusion, difficulty speaking, and nausea.
Conditions for Storage of Generic Topamax
Store Generic Topamax at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Potencies of Generic Topamax
Topamax Tablets Topamax 25 mg, Topamax 50 mg & Topamax 100 mg
|| Top ||
Food and Drug Interactions with Topamax
- Generic Topamax blood levels may be decreased by carbamazepine and phenytoin.
- Generic Topamax may increase the blood level of phenytoin, and people taking this combination of antiepileptic medicines should have their blood level of phenytoin monitored.
- Topamax may make combined oral contraceptive pills less effective by reducing the blood level of oestrogen. For this reason, women using combined oral contraceptives should be prescribed a pill(s) containing at least 50 micrograms of oestrogen. Alternatively, non-hormonal methods of contraception such as condoms should be used to prevent pregnancy. If you are taking an oral contraceptive with Generic Topamax you should tell your doctor if you experience any changes in your menstrual bleeding, because this may mean that your pill is becoming less effective at preventing pregnancy.
- There may be an increased risk of drowsiness and sedation if Topamax is taken with any of the following (which can also cause drowsiness):
- tricyclic antidepressants, e.g. amitriptyline narcotics, e.g. morphine, codeine
- benzodiazepines, e.g. diazepam
- sedating antihistamines, e.g. chlorphenamine
- sleeping tablets
|| Top ||
Contraindications with Topamax
Generic Topamax is contraindicated in the following
- Epilepsy in children under two years of age
- Migraine in children under 16 years of age
- Pregnancy & Breastfeeding
- Rare hereditary problems of galactose intolerance, the Lapp lactase deficiency or glucose-galactose malabsorption
- Allergy to one or any of its ingredients
|| Top ||
Precautions with Topamax
Generic Topamax should be used with caution in
- Decreased liver function
- Decreased kidney function
- Personal or family history of kidney stones
- High levels of calcium in the urine (hypercalciuria)
- History of depression or suicidal thoughts
- Adolescents and young adults
- Severe lung/breathing disorders
- Life long inherited blood diseases which can cause a variety of symptoms, including mental health problems (porphyrias)
|| Top ||
Adverse effects with Topamax
The adverse effects associated with Generic Topamax are
- Pins and needles sensation (paraesthesia)
- Decreased appetite and weight loss
- Difficulty sleeping (insomnia)
- Concentration or memory difficulties
- Abdominal pain
- Decreased sense of touch
- Visual disturbances
- Speech disturbances
- Shaky movements and unsteady walk (ataxia)
- Weakness or loss of strength (asthenia)
- Alteration in taste
- Behavior problems in children
- Increased acid levels in the blood (metabolic acidosis)
|| Top ||