Tricor and its UsesGeneric Tricor is used with diet changes (restriction of cholesterol and fat intake) to reduce the amount of cholesterol and triglycerides (fatty substances) in your blood.
Generic Tricor is especially good at lowering triglycerides and a form of cholesterol called very-low-density lipoprotein (VLDL). High levels of these types of fat in the blood are associated with an increased chance of pancreatitis, an inflammation of the pancreas that can result in severe stomach pain and even death.
Generic Tricor is only used when blood lipid levels cannot be lowered by diet and exercise alone. It is important to follow a diet and exercise regime when taking Tricor.
Accumulation of cholesterol and fats along the walls of your arteries (a process known as atherosclerosis) decreases blood flow and, therefore, the oxygen supply to your heart, brain, and other parts of your body. Lowering your blood level of cholesterol and fats may help to prevent heart disease, angina (chest pain), strokes, and heart attacks.
|| Top ||
Tricor Mechanism Tricor WorkingGeneric Tricor works by decreasing the amount of fats (lipids) in the blood. These lipids include cholesterol and triglycerides.
For the sake of simplicity, there are two sorts of cholesterol; a 'bad' sort called low density lipoprotein (LDL) and a 'good' sort called high density lipoprotein (HDL). LDL is deposited in the arteries and increases the risk of heart disease, while HDL actually protects the arteries against this.
Generic Tricor increases the breakdown of LDL cholesterol and other 'bad fats' in the blood called triglycerides. Tricor also increases the levels of HDL cholesterol. This results in lowered levels of 'bad fats' and raised levels of 'good fats'.
Fibrates have an important role in the prevention of heart disease. They reduce the risk of fats being deposited in the major blood vessels of the heart. Any blockage in the blood vessels limits the amount of blood and therefore oxygen being carried to the heart muscle. In severe cases this can result in a heart attack (myocardial infarction).
|| Top ||
Tricor DosageMissed Dose of Tricor
Take the missed Dose of Tricor as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed Dose of Tricor and take only your next regularly scheduled dose. Do not take a double dose of Tricor.
Excess Dose of Tricor
Generic Tricor in excess dose does not show any symptoms.
Conditions for Storage of Tricor
Store Generic Tricor at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Potencies of Tricor
Tricor Tablets Tricor 160 mg, Tricor 200 mg
|| Top ||
Food and Drug interactions with Tricor
- Generic Tricor increases the anti-blood-clotting effect of anticoagulant medicines such as warfarin, thus increasing the risk of bleeding. For this reason, if you are taking Tricor at the same time as an anticoagulant your doctor may decrease the dose of your anticoagulant. Your blood clotting time should be regularly monitored.
- Generic Tricor may increase the blood sugar lowering effects of antidiabetic medicines, such as insulin or sulphonylureas such as glibenclamide. This may be unpredictable and can cause hypoglycaemia. Discuss this with your doctor, as your dose of antidiabetic medicine may need to be reduced.
- There may be an increased risk of side effects on the muscles, eg muscle pain and weakness, if fenofibrate is taken with any of the following:
- other fibrates, eg bezafibrate
- statins, eg simvastatin
- If you take Generic Tricor in combination with ciclosporin there may also be a risk of a decline in your kidney function. For this reason people taking both these medicines should have their kidney function monitored.
|| Top ||
Contraindications with Tricor
Generic Tricor is contraindicated in the following
- Breastfeeding: Generic Tricor should not be used by nursing mothers.
- Gall bladder disease
- Liver damage occurring due to disorder of the bile duct (biliary cirrhosis)
- People who have had skin reactions to UV light during treatment with fibrates or ketoprofen
- Pregnancy: Do not take Generic Tricor without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant.
- Severely decreased kidney function
- Severely decreased liver function
|| Top |
Precautions with Tricor
Generic Tricor should be used with caution in the following conditions:
- Current or previous decrease in kidney function
- History of muscle disease
- Low albumin blood levels (hypoalbuminaemia)
|| Top ||
Adverse effects with Tricor
The adverse effects with Tricor are
- Disturbances of the gut such as diarrhoea, constipation, nausea, vomiting or abdominal pain
- Muscle inflammation
- Inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis)
- Abnormal reaction of the skin to light, usually a rash (photosensitivity)
- Balance problems involving the inner ear (vertigo)
- Inflammation of the liver (hepatitis)
- Muscle breakdown (rhabdomyolysis)
- Hair loss (alopecia)
- Alteration in results of liver function tests
- Sexual problems
- Skin reactions such as rash and itch
|| Top ||