Tadalafil and its Uses
Tadalafil is clinically proven to improve erectile function in most men with ED, including those with mild, moderate or severe ED.
Tadalafil helps increase blood flow in the penis when a man is sexually stimulated.
Tadalafil can help men with ED get and keep an erection satisfactory for sexual activity. Once a man has completed sexual activity, blood flow to his penis decreases, and his erection goes away.
In clinical trials, Tadalafil has shown to improve:
- Confidence in ability to achieve and maintain an erection
- Satisfaction with the hardness of erections
- Ability to maintain erections for successful sexual intercourse
- Satisfaction with sexual intercourse
|| Top ||
Tadalafil Mechanism Tadalafil Working
Tadalafil is called a phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitor, and works by preventing the action of a chemical in the body called phosphodiesterase type 5.
An erection is produced via a complex chain of events, involving signals from the nervous system and the release of chemical messengers within the tissues of the penis. One of these chemical messengers is called cyclic GMP.
Cyclic GMP causes the blood vessels in the penis to widen by relaxing a thin layer of muscle found in the blood vessel walls. This allows more blood to enter the penis, which ultimately results in the penis becoming rigid and erect.
Cyclic GMP is normally broken down by another chemical in the body called phosphodiesterase type 5. Tadalafil works by preventing the action of phosphodiesterase type 5, thus stopping the breakdown of cyclic GMP. This means that the blood vessels are kept dilated for longer, improving blood flow to the penis and maintaining an erection.
As Tadalafil enhances the actions of the chemical messengers responsible for producing an erection, it will only work once these messengers are present. This means that sexual stimulation is required for it to produce and maintain an erection. The dose should be taken at least 30 minutes before intended intercourse, and it may produce an erection in response to sexual stimulation for up to 36 hours after taking the Tadalafil dose.
|| Top ||
Missed Dose of Tadalafil
Tadalafil is used as needed , so you are not likely to miss a dose of Tadalafil.
Excess Dose of Tadalafil
Tadalafil in excess dose does not show any show any symptoms.
Conditions for Storage of Tadalafil
Store Tadalafil Medication at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Potencies of Tadalafil
Tadalafil Tablets: Tadalafil 10 mg & Tadalafil 20 mg
|| Top ||
Food and Drug interactions with Tadalafil
- Tadalafil must not be taken with any form of nitrate medication, as this combination can produce a severe drop in blood pressure that can cause dizziness, fainting, or even a heart attack. Nitrate medications include the following:
- glyceryl trinitrate, isosorbide mononitrate, isosorbide dinitrate, used for angina or heart failure
- amyl nitrate (also known as 'poppers')
- If Tadalafil is taken by people who are taking medicines for high blood pressure (antihypertensives), the combination may potentially cause an extra drop in blood pressure. This is unlikely to be significant, but you should be aware that if it does occur it might make you feel dizzy. This is more likely to occur in people taking alpha-blocker medicines such as doxazosin, some of which are used to treat an enlarged prostate gland as well as high blood pressure. Tadalafil is therefore not recommended for men taking alpha-blockers.
- The use of Tadalafil with other treatments for erectile dysfunction is not recommended, as the safety of such combinations has not yet been established.
- The following medicines may increase the blood level of Tadalafil, which could increase the risk of side effects:
- Grapefruit juice taken with Tadalafil may also cause an increase in the blood level of Tadalafil.
- The following medicines may decrease the blood level of Tadalafil:
- If Tadalafil is taken by people taking theophylline there may be a small increase in heart rate. This is unlikely to be significant, but you should tell your doctor if you are taking theophylline, and if you are taking any other medicines including those bought without a prescription and herbal medicines, before you start taking Tadalafil.
|| Top ||
Contraindications with Tadalafil
Tadalafil is contraindicated in the following:
- Abnormal heart beats (arrhythmias) not controlled by treatment
- Angina not well controlled by medical treatment (unstable angina)
- Children and adolescents under 18 years of age
- Conditions in which sexual activity is not advisable, for example severe heart disorders
- Hereditary galactose intolerance
- Hereditary Lapp lactase deficiency
- Inherited inability to absorb the sugars glucose and galactose (glucose-galactose malabsorption)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- People taking any form of nitrate medications, e.g. glyceryl trinitrate
- People who have had a heart attack in the last three months
- People who have had a stroke in the last six months
- People with angina that occurs during sex
- People with mild to severe heart failure in the last six months
- Uncontrolled high blood pressure (hypertension)
|| Top ||
Precautions with Tadalafil
Tadalafil should be used with caution in:
Tadalafil should not be taken more than once a day , and it is strongly recommended that you don't use it every day. This is because the long-term safety of using Tadalafil medicine every day for long periods of time has not been established, and also because the effect usually lasts for longer than one day.
- Conditions such as sickle cell disease, bone cancer or leukaemia in which there is an increased risk of prolonged erections (priapism)
- Decreased kidney function
- Decreased liver function
- Disease involving the heart and blood vessels (cardiovascular disease)
- Physical abnormality of the penis, such as severe curvature, scarring or Peyronie's disease
- If your erection lasts longer than 4 hours (priapism), consult a doctor immediately. Treatment of this condition should not be delayed more than 6 hours, as this can cause damage to the erectile tissue in the penis and irreversible erectile dysfunction.
- If Tadalafil is taken with alcohol there is an increased risk of a drop in blood pressure that might make you feel dizzy. In addition, alcohol can impair sexual performance.
|| Top ||
Adverse effects with Tadalafil
The adverse effects associated with Tadalafil are:
|| Top ||